The private mortgage insurance industry expresses our deepest sympathies to everyone impacted by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). USMI members are closely monitoring the situation and working with federal regulators, industry groups, and consumer organizations to support homeowners in these difficult times.
The private mortgage insurance industry is prepared, and stands ready to work with homeowners, mortgage servicers, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (the GSEs), and the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) to ensure that families impacted by the coronavirus are aware of the available mortgage relief options. Borrowers who have any questions regarding their mortgage payments should contact their mortgage servicer.
On Friday, March 27th, President Donald Trump signed into law the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to establish relief programs to support consumers and the American economy during the COVID-19 public health crisis. The CARES Act includes several housing relief efforts related to forbearance programs and temporary suspension in evictions for properties secured by conventional and government mortgages.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, USMI and our members have made the health of our teams, lender customers, and homeowners a priority. As the country faces unprecedented health and economic challenges stemming from COVID-19, our industry remains resilient and prepared to support the U.S. housing industry and consumers. More details on USMI members’ response during COVID can be found here. More details on how COVID-19 is affecting state economies and homeowners can be found here.
For the most current information on COVID-19 and guidance for homeowners during this time, please see the following resources:
- Federal Housing Finance Agency (GSE regulator)
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
Since the 2008 financial crisis, the private mortgage insurance industry has enhanced its capital and operational strength and established various tools and mechanisms to become more resilient and withstand times of economic hardship to better serve U.S. homeowners. The industry is prepared to work with homeowners and mortgage servicers to promote sustainable homeownership and keep families in their homes during and after the COVID-19 public health emergency.
MEMBER COMPANY RESOURCES
- Borrowers: Inquiries for Essent can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Servicers: www.essent.us/covid-19-resources
- Front End Lenders: www.essent.us/covid-19-resources
Genworth Mortgage Insurance
- Borrowers: www.genworth.com/hoa
- Servicers: www.new.mi.genworth.com/covid-19
- Front End Lenders: new.mortgageinsurance.genworth.com/covid-19
Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corporation (MGIC)
- Borrowers: www.mgic.com/servicing/reference-reporting-information/homeowner-assista
- Servicers: www.mgic.com/servicing
- Front End Lenders: www.mgic.com/
National Mortgage Insurance Corporation (NMI)
- Borrowers: https://www.nationalmi.com/covid-19-updates/
- Servicers: www.nationalmi.com/policy-servicing/
- Front End Lenders: www.nationalmi.com/why-mortgage-insurance/